We share our favorite recipes to create happy guests on Labor Day.
Looking for a sweet and savory way to add a delicious side dish? Try our recipe for caramelized brussel sprouts. Make ‘em vegan style or make' em for your meat eating friends. Either way this recipe is sure to be a pleaser.
2 lbs large brussel sprouts
2 tbsp white distilled vinegar
3 tbsps *corn-free brown sugar
1 ½ tbsp honey
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tbsp fresh ground black pepper
½ tsp sea salt
(optiona) 1-1 ½ cups bacon crumbles or chopped, cooked bacon
1. Heat oven to 375°. Cover baking sheet with foil and set aside.
2. In a small skillet, add bacon crumbles and set to medium heat. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes until greasy and crumbly. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Rinse brussel sprouts under cool water. Using a cutting board, chop the rooted end of the brussel sprouts and toss ends. Then chop brussel sprouts into quarters. (If you are using small brussel sprouts, you can chop in half instead of quarters.)
4. Throw rinsed and cut brussel sprouts into medium bowl. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed.
6. Grab bacon crumbles and stir in with brussel sprouts.
7. Transfer brussel sprouts mix to sheet pan and place inside oven. Cook on 375° for 45 minutes to an hour. Brussel sprouts are ready when they are slightly browned and tender to touch.
8. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 2 minutes. Then transfer to mixing bowl.
In a small saucepan, heat vinegar, brown sugar, and honey on medium heat. Stir lightly.
Once sauce starts to bubble, reduce heat and stir vigorously. Allow to cook for 1 more minute, then turn off heat.
Pour over brussel sprouts immediately and stir. (If you do not pour immediately, sauce will thicken and will be difficult to remove from saucepan.)
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Make it Vegan
To make this recipe vegan, try swapping out the honey for date syrup and the bacon for mushroom lardons. These subtle changes will still keep a robust flavor and your meat eaters will hardly notice the difference!
We love hearing and seeing your version of our recipes. Share your photos and stories with us at email@example.com to be featured in one of our posts.